Preprint Article Version 1 Preserved in Portico This version is not peer-reviewed

Comparison of Diesel Tractor Emissions in Korea

Version 1 : Received: 30 November 2021 / Approved: 1 December 2021 / Online: 1 December 2021 (10:36:45 CET)

How to cite: Han, G.G.; Jeon, J.H.; Kim, M.H.; Lee, J.M.; Kim, S.M. Comparison of Diesel Tractor Emissions in Korea. Preprints 2021, 2021120006 (doi: 10.20944/preprints202112.0006.v1). Han, G.G.; Jeon, J.H.; Kim, M.H.; Lee, J.M.; Kim, S.M. Comparison of Diesel Tractor Emissions in Korea. Preprints 2021, 2021120006 (doi: 10.20944/preprints202112.0006.v1).

Abstract

Due to the shortage of agricultural labor forces and rapid aging of farmers, the utilization of tractors is becoming popular and essential in Korea. Tractors can be classified into two types, a walking tractor called as a power tiller and a riding tractor. In this study, agricultural tractors including walking and riding types were categorized into 4 levels by rated output power. And diesel emission inventory of tractors was established and analyzed using 2011 and 2019 survey data in Korea. Emission inventory including CO, NOx, SOx, TSP(PM10), PM2.5, VOCs and NH3 were established using Tier 3 methodology. The total amount of emission using agricultural tractors was decreased about 13% from 2011 to 2019. The number of walking tractors were decreased by about 19% in 8 years, on the other hand that of riding tractors were increased by about 12%. However, the emission reduction is about 48% for walking tractors and the emission increment is about 5% for riding tractors. Thus, the total emission from agricultural tractors was decreased by about 16% in those periods. It is due to the decrease of 21% and 15% in the hours of use of walking and riding tractors, respectively, in 2019. Walking tractors mainly emit air pollutants from spraying and transporting. Riding tractors mainly 61% of total air pollutants emits from soil preparation and transporting operations. Geographic information system (GIS) was used to spatially assign air pollutants variables into 17 provinces and metropolitan cities in Korea. High emission generating regions and changes of emissions during 8 years were clearly seen in GIS analysis. High air pollutant emitting regions are mainly located in the western and southern regions of Korea, which have plenty of arable areas compared to other regions in Korea.

Keywords

Agricultural Tractor; Diesel Emission; Air Pollutants; Emission Inventory; Geographic Information System

Subject

ENGINEERING, Other

Comments (0)

We encourage comments and feedback from a broad range of readers. See criteria for comments and our diversity statement.

Leave a public comment
Send a private comment to the author(s)
Views 0
Downloads 0
Comments 0
Metrics 0


×
Alerts
Notify me about updates to this article or when a peer-reviewed version is published.
We use cookies on our website to ensure you get the best experience.
Read more about our cookies here.