Preprint Case Report Version 1 Preserved in Portico This version is not peer-reviewed

Drinking Water and Diarrheal Characteristic Cases in Darbendikhan City

Version 1 : Received: 1 August 2020 / Approved: 2 August 2020 / Online: 2 August 2020 (17:41:51 CEST)

How to cite: Mohammed, S.S.; Hama-karim, Y.H.; Gubari, M.I.M. Drinking Water and Diarrheal Characteristic Cases in Darbendikhan City. Preprints 2020, 2020080049 (doi: 10.20944/preprints202008.0049.v1). Mohammed, S.S.; Hama-karim, Y.H.; Gubari, M.I.M. Drinking Water and Diarrheal Characteristic Cases in Darbendikhan City. Preprints 2020, 2020080049 (doi: 10.20944/preprints202008.0049.v1).

Abstract

Water pollution in Iraq has been extended disaster edge; this pollution is caused by wastes and sewages into soil and rivers, pollutant water sources influence the outbreak and serious epidemic status among the population.. The aim of this study is to determine the bacteriological quality of drinking water sources and characteristics of water-borne diseases especially diarrheal cases in Darbandikhan city. 166 water samples, collected from the different sources and areas, were tested for the presences of coliform bacteria as an indicator for pathogen contamination. Most probable number index was used for coliform enumeration. 161 diarrheal cases were taken as a sample from the patients were admitted to the general hospital in Darbandikhan district.. The questionnaire form was planned to view characteristics of diarrheal cases and patients were interviewed directly, the data was analyzed by STATA software application. 46% of the diarrheal cases used tap water for drinking. On the other hand, the reminder (54%) used other sources for the same purpose. All the risk factor such as type of water source, sufficiency of the water, duration of water storage and chlorination were associated with diarrhea. Almost half of the cases were children and three quarters were single. The data was analyzed by STATA version 13.1.This study indicated that the majority of drinking water sources in Darbandikhan city are not suitable for drinking, although net pipe system supplied chlorine significantly it has been proven that the tap water from the homes is not suitable for consumption.

Subject Areas

diarrhoeal cases; drinking water; water sources; water pollution; Darbandikhan Lake

Comments (0)

We encourage comments and feedback from a broad range of readers. See criteria for comments and our diversity statement.

Leave a public comment
Send a private comment to the author(s)
Views 0
Downloads 0
Comments 0
Metrics 0


×
Alerts
Notify me about updates to this article or when a peer-reviewed version is published.
We use cookies on our website to ensure you get the best experience.
Read more about our cookies here.