Preprint Article Version 1 This version is not peer-reviewed

Maternal Ethnicity as Risk Factor for Miscarriage: Evidence from a Six-Year Period Cohort in a University Setting

Version 1 : Received: 3 April 2019 / Approved: 4 April 2019 / Online: 4 April 2019 (15:52:25 CEST)

How to cite: Triunfo, S.; Di Carlo, G.; Cellana, A.; Masini, L.; Danza, M.; Lanzone, A. Maternal Ethnicity as Risk Factor for Miscarriage: Evidence from a Six-Year Period Cohort in a University Setting. Preprints 2019, 2019040057 (doi: 10.20944/preprints201904.0057.v1). Triunfo, S.; Di Carlo, G.; Cellana, A.; Masini, L.; Danza, M.; Lanzone, A. Maternal Ethnicity as Risk Factor for Miscarriage: Evidence from a Six-Year Period Cohort in a University Setting. Preprints 2019, 2019040057 (doi: 10.20944/preprints201904.0057.v1).

Abstract

In last decades, growing migration flows have modified the obstetric clinical care, requiring specific attention by health care systems. The aim was to describe the phenomenon focusing on miscarriage (pregnancy loss at <20 weeks). Patients admitted for care at miscarriage in a six-year period (2012-17) were revised. Miscarriage rates in all ethnic groups, dichotomized in early (within the first 12 weeks of gestation) and late (at <20 weeks) pregnancy loss. Associations between women's characteristics (age, parity, inter-pregnancy interval (IPI)) were explored to elucidate any differences. A total of 1,940 patients were included, segregated in early (n = 1769, 91.2%) and late (n = 171, 8.8%) pregnancy losses. Caucasian ethnicity was the most common (87.9%), leaving the minority groups to 12.1%. Maternal age was higher among Caucasians women than other subgroups, in contrast to Asiatic patients. Nulliparity was observed in 1045 (53.9%) patient, more widespread among Caucasian and Maghrebins. A positive obstetric history counting at least one miscarriage was frequent, ranging from 22.2% to 75%, in particular among Asiatic women, while the recurrence in Caucasians. In Afro-Carribeans the most relevant rate of late miscarriage was found. By multiple regression modelling, maternal age, nulliparity and Afro-Carribean were identified as determinants. Maternal ethnicity should be considered in the management of pregnancy losses in combination with already well-defined risk factors, including age at miscarriare and nulliparity.

Subject Areas

miscarriage; fetal loss; risk factor; ethnicity; maternal race

Comments (0)

We encourage comments and feedback from a broad range of readers. See criteria for comments and our diversity statement.

Leave a public comment
Send a private comment to the author(s)
Views 0
Downloads 0
Comments 0
Metrics 0


×
Alerts
Notify me about updates to this article or when a peer-reviewed version is published.