Preprint Article Version 1 This version is not peer-reviewed

Polyphenol-Enriched Plum Extract Enhances Myotubule Formation and Anabolism while Attenuating Colon Cancer-induced Cellular Damage in C2C12 Cells

Version 1 : Received: 5 April 2019 / Approved: 8 April 2019 / Online: 8 April 2019 (10:47:01 CEST)

A peer-reviewed article of this Preprint also exists.

Alsolmei, F.A.; Li, H.; Pereira, S.L.; Krishnan, P.; Johns, P.W.; Siddiqui, R.A. Polyphenol-Enriched Plum Extract Enhances Myotubule Formation and Anabolism while Attenuating Colon Cancer-induced Cellular Damage in C2C12 Cells. Nutrients 2019, 11, 1077. Alsolmei, F.A.; Li, H.; Pereira, S.L.; Krishnan, P.; Johns, P.W.; Siddiqui, R.A. Polyphenol-Enriched Plum Extract Enhances Myotubule Formation and Anabolism while Attenuating Colon Cancer-induced Cellular Damage in C2C12 Cells. Nutrients 2019, 11, 1077.

Journal reference: Nutrients 2019, 11, 1077
DOI: 10.3390/nu11051077

Abstract

Preventing muscle wasting in certain chronic diseases including cancer is an ongoing challenge. Studies have shown that polyphenols derived from fruits and vegetables show promise in reducing muscle loss in cellular and animal models of muscle wasting. We hypothesized that polyphenols derived from plum (Prunus domestica) could have anabolic and anti-catabolic benefits on skeletal muscle. The effects of a polyphenol-enriched plum extract (PE60) were evaluated in vitro on C2C12 and Colon-26 cancer cells. Treatment of myocytes with plum extract increased the cell size by ~3-fold (p<0.05) and stimulated myoblast differentiation by ~2-fold (p<0.05). Plum extract induced total protein synthesis by ~50% (p<0.05), reduced serum deprivation- induced total protein degradation by ~30% (P<0.05), and increased expression of IGF-1 by ~2-fold (p<0.05). Plum extract also reduced TNFα-induced NFkB activation by 80% (p<0.05) in A549/NFkB-luc cells. In addition, plum extract inhibited growth of Colon-26 cancer cells, and attenuated cytotoxicity in C2C12 myoblasts induced by soluble factors released from Colon-26 cells. In conclusion, our data suggest that plum extract may have pluripotent health benefits on muscle based on its demonstrated ability to promote myogenesis, stimulate muscle protein synthesis, and inhibit protein degradation. It also appears to protect muscle cell from tumor-induced cytotoxicity.

Subject Areas

cachexia; plum; cancer; muscle wasting; myoblasts; protein synthesis

Comments (0)

We encourage comments and feedback from a broad range of readers. See criteria for comments and our diversity statement.

Leave a public comment
Send a private comment to the author(s)
Views 0
Downloads 0
Comments 0
Metrics 0


×
Alerts
Notify me about updates to this article or when a peer-reviewed version is published.