Preprint Article Version 1 This version is not peer-reviewed

Could the Maternal Ethnicity to be a Determinant in the Healthcare Cost of Assistance at Birth?

Version 1 : Received: 28 February 2019 / Approved: 1 March 2019 / Online: 1 March 2019 (14:33:15 CET)

How to cite: Triunfo, S.; LOFOCO, F.; PETRILLO, F.; VOLPE, M.; LANZONE, A. Could the Maternal Ethnicity to be a Determinant in the Healthcare Cost of Assistance at Birth?. Preprints 2019, 2019030016 (doi: 10.20944/preprints201903.0016.v1). Triunfo, S.; LOFOCO, F.; PETRILLO, F.; VOLPE, M.; LANZONE, A. Could the Maternal Ethnicity to be a Determinant in the Healthcare Cost of Assistance at Birth?. Preprints 2019, 2019030016 (doi: 10.20944/preprints201903.0016.v1).

Abstract

Recent policy and service provision recommends a woman-centered approach to maternity care and encourages the development of personalized models of clinical assistance. As ethnicity has been recognized as determinant in the risk calculation of some obstetric complication, our aim was to assess costs for birth assistance according to the maternal ethnicities. In a five-year period (2012-16) all women admitted for delivery at the Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Fondazione Policlinico Universitario ‘A. Gemelli’ IRCCS, Rome, Italy were investigated. Economic evaluations were performed by using the ‘diagnosis-related group’ (DRG) approach. Cost analysis was completed by including maternal ethnicity, delivery mode and perinatal complications. A total of 18,093 patients were involved in the analysis. An overall care expense of €42.663.481 was calculated. Caucasian was the main ethnicity (90.7%), leaving the minority groups to 9.3%. Vaginal delivery (VD) was the most common mode of delivery in all ethnic clusters, with a global rate of 59.6%. Not including Asiatic women, increased CS rates were recorded in all minority ethnic groups (Maghreb (51.5%) and Afro-Caribbean (47.8%)). A double incidence of complicated VD was observed in the minority groups, primarily among Afro-Caribbean (69.9%), followed by Asiatic (64.1%), Maghreb (63.2%) and Latin-America (62.7%) patients. By logistic regression, Afro-Caribbean delivering women had a significant increased risk of complicated CS among all subgroups. Minority groups (Afro-Caribbean, in particular) increase the health care cost for birth assistance due to higher incidence of adverse perinatal outcomes.

Subject Areas

Costs, delivery, cesarean section, ethnicity, maternal morbidity

Comments (0)

We encourage comments and feedback from a broad range of readers. See criteria for comments and our diversity statement.

Leave a public comment
Send a private comment to the author(s)
Views 0
Downloads 0
Comments 0
Metrics 0


×
Alerts
Notify me about updates to this article or when a peer-reviewed version is published.